What Online Video Can Do For Your Business
10 Facts & Figures About Online Videoby Jeff Bullas
- 35% of Web users now say they have viewed video content online and this figure is continually growing.
- 16% of Web users said they had watched or downloaded TV shows or movies in 2007, according to new data from the Pew Internet and American Life Project. “Efforts to lure viewers to these portals appear to be paying off,” according to the report. The use of video-sharing sites currently outranks many other headline-snatching Internet pastimes among American adults, according to an April survey of some 2,253 adults by Princeton Survey Research International. Watching online videos on sites like YouTube is more prevalent than the use of social networking sites.
- 46% of adult Internet users are active on YouTube.
- 19% of Internet users use podcast downloading whereas only 11% of Internet users use microblogging sites like Twitter.
- 90% of Internet users ages 18-29 use video-sharing sites, up from 72% one year ago.
- 36% of young adult Internet users watched video on these sites, in 2009, compared with just 30% in 2008.
- Online adults ages 30-49 also showed big gains over the past year; 67% now use video-sharing sites, up from 57% in 2008.
- Online video viewing is still far from being the norm among Internet users ages 50 and older; however, this segment of the Internet audience continues to grow each year. Among Internet users ages 50-64, 41% now say they watch video on sites like YouTube — up from 34% in 2008.
- Likewise, 27% of wired seniors ages 65 and older now access video on these sites, compared with just 19% who were doing so at this time last year.
- Over the past year, the share of online women who visit video-sharing sites has grown substantially–from 46% in 2008 to 59% in the latest survey. That compares with 57% of male Internet users who reported online video viewing in 2008 and 65% in 2009.